Sign in to follow this  
Tyrant Thee Stallion

MI RECUERDA | Se cumplen 23 años del crossover más importante del pop y hip-hop: Fantasy de Mariah Carey y O.D.B, que cambió la música mainstream para siempre.

dBazVMb.gif

tumblr_inline_n3dvwkmBH91qb4mzd.jpg

'Fantasy' 20 Years Later: How One of Mariah Carey's Biggest Singles Became the Future of Pop Music

A turning point in Carey’s career, the chart-topping song quickly became a trendsetter, giving birth to a new genre -- “hip-pop” -- as TLC’s Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes once put it. “My first thought was, ‘Who the hell allowed this to happen?’” former MTV news correspondent John Norris tells ET about the remix’s initial release. "It wasn't just a pop singer and a rapper," he adds. "It was the sweetest pop singer and as gritty of an East Coast rapper as we had at the time."

While Columbia Records -- Carey’s label from 1988 to 1999 -- gave it the ultimate go-ahead, it was Carey who relentlessly pushed Tommy Mottola, the head of the label and her then-husband, for creative control. She was restless. And ready.

“The record companies didn’t understand my collabs with hip-hop artists and producers, such as ‘Fantasy’ with ODB or

‘Heartbreaker’ with Jay Z,” Carey told Variety in August. “Now anyone would kill to have a record with Jay Z. I got a lot of flak for that.”

“People who wanted her to be a Celine Dion-type artist had gripes about it," rapper Da Brat recalls to ET. A close friend and collaborator of Carey’s, the rapper would help with the singer’s urban transition. Regarding Carey’s fringe makeover, Brat says, “Tommy Mottola didn’t want that. He didn’t want her on that level. He didn't even want her associating with rappers like that. She fought for that, because Mariah’s got a little hood in her.”

Carey’s fight was victorious, igniting a wave of collaborations in the dirty-pop vein of “Fantasy" and “Heartbreaker.” Jennifer Lopez teamed up with Ja Rule for two of her biggest singles, “I’m Real” and “Ain’t It Funny (Murder Remix).” Fergie, who first broke on the scene as the hook singer of The Black Eyed Peas, collaborated with Ludacris on her solo release. Christina Aguilera teamed up with Redman. And Ashanti found success with a number of rappers. By 2002, the format was so popular that the GRAMMYs introduced an award for the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, which eventually went to Beyonce and Jay Z for “Crazy in Love.”

“She set the trend," Brat says of Carey, whose influence is clearly seen in a number of today’s young artists -- even if today’s new generation of singers don’t realize the path they’re following. "All the new R&B and younger pop artists should worship the ground Mariah walks on because she paved the way in so many different ways by trying different things that the world didn't necessarily agree with,” she adds. “And that's what these new artists lack -- they lack appreciation, and they lack respect.”

Me acuerdo cuando veia este video en el antiguo Canal 2 :xD:

no olvidar estas riquezas de glitter :bbb:

negra lucerito y sus trillizas flops :bbb:

• Like 1